Our friends Ben and Charli over at Wanderlusters nominated us for the Liebster Blog Award, which isn’t really an award, but more of a chain letter, a way of reaching out to other bloggers you feel deserve a bit of recognition for all their time spent. Plus you get to ask all those burning questions, and gain some extra insight into the lives of the bloggers you know and love.
These are the rules, once you have been nominated you must…
- Link back to the blogger that nominated you
- Write 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer 11 questions from the blogger that nominated you
- Nominate 11 other bloggers
- Ask them 11 new questions
So here goes…
11 random facts about us
- Beth has a coin collection of over 1000 coins from around the world, started at aged 5 and still treasured to this day
- Gaz swam 50m Breaststroke in the British National Swimming Championships at the age 17 (and didn’t win)
- Beth runs a social media company catering to the needs of world-famous DJs – perks include free tickets, free drinks and plenty of high 5’s
- We have been to over thirty music festivals together – and can probably remember about ten minutes of it!
- On the first date Gaz took Beth to a haunted house he was working at as a security guard
- Beth hates the smell of fish so much she’ll cross the road to avoid the stench
- Gaz hates going to bed, and has the world’s best nose for sniffing out a party
- We’ve met our hero Howard Marks, on more than one occasion, and we won a £100 bar tab at his last quiz night
- In Costa Rica we went inside a real life Noah’s Arc complete with AK-47s and gas masks, made for Armageddon
- We are directors of a “successful” rum import business, Pirate’s Grog Rum
- Our next mission is to move to Indonesia and work on a Manta Ray Project
And here’s our answers to the 11 questions from Ben and Charli @ Wanderlusters…
If your budget was unlimited what would your itinerary include?
Even though we sometime travel on a shoestring, we live as though our budget is unlimited. We make our dreams comes true regardless of price, where there’s a will there’s a way. Oh, but I’d buy an iPhone ;)
What’s the best piece of advice you could give us?
If you see something you think would be amazing, make a plan to go and do it. Don’t let anything stop you, that way you’ll always be happy and you’ll grow old without regrets.
Where do you call home?
Although we like to wander, Leeds is definitely our home. We have a huge group of friends that welcome us with open arms whether we’ve been gone for a month or a year, and it makes coming back from traveling a lot less painful. We enjoy our time in Leeds almost as much as traveling as there’s always something to do, somewhere to go and people to meet.
What (if anything) inspired your desire to travel?
When I was younger my dad was often away traveling with work. He would always bring me back gifts so my bedroom was fulled with worldly delights from Chinese dresses to Baoding Balls. I even had a chest containing Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh. Watching my dad travel made me want to travel from a very young age, first it was to study in New York, then it was to work in Australia, but I’ve ended up loving scuba diving and beach life more than anything else.
What’s the one ‘unnecessary’ item you always pack?
I wouldn’t call it unnecessary but it’s an item not many other travelers tend to carry, and that’s our speaker. It’s small and portable, but we use it all the time, we like to create social environments and playing good music is one of the quickest ways to make friends.
Who would you most like to invite to dinner?
Hmm, that’s a tricky one. We have a rolling list of dinner guests we’d love to have, but one we’d both love to meet is Sir David Attenborough. He’s been to places we will probably never experience and not only that, but in the early days he was often one of the first Westerners to have visited. I love that feeling of being different and discovering something brand new. He’s experienced that so many times, I’d love to chat to him about it. And if all else fails, his soothing voice can put me to sleep after a few glasses of vino! Or Leigh Francis aka Keith Lemon. He’s from the same city as us (Leeds) and we love his humour, I think we’d be laughing our heads for the entire meal!
Which member of your family are you most like and why?
Ha, that’s even more tricky. I can see a lot of traits from both my mum and dad. I am a social creature like my dad, I love to meet new people, joke and have a laugh about anything. But I am caring and considerate like my mum, I also gained her OCD. I guess this is a question for the family more than me…?
Which is your preferred method of transport? Air, Land or Sea?
Both Gaz and I love to travel by boat. When you’re sailing on the open waters there’s a real sense of adventure, what are you going to find at the other end. You get a great view as you approach the land, with the wind in your hair and that brilliant feeling of excitement and anticipation builds in your stomach. And after a few hairy overnight bus journeys in Vietnam and Cambodia I think we can say land travel is firmly at the bottom of our list.
What’s your worst travel habit?
Spending days on end partying and then locking myself away for some alone time and to try to catch up on work.
Have you ever lost anything on your travels?
A few insignificant items like a hoody, padlock, razor etc. When we left Little Corn, a tiny island miles off the coast of Nicaragua I left my mac charger, not a clever move! Stuck in Nicaragua with a ton of work to do and absolutely no way of buying a new charger anytime soon. Luckily we’d made some friends who were due to leave the island a couple of days after us so we stayed close to the port on the mainland and waited for their boat to come in. Sadly it was probably the worst place we’ve ever visited and I got us stuck there for 3 days!
What do you aspire to achieve in your lifetime?
As my mum always said, ‘Whatever you do make sure you’re happy’ so my goal each day is to stay happy, if everyone aimed for this, the world would be a better place. Some people don’t seem to take charge of their lives and achieve their dreams. My rum import business isn’t going so well, so we’ll move onto the next idea, there’s no point in dwelling, let’s just have fun!
And here’s our 11 questions for you…
- If you’re in a bad mood, which song do you put on to make you feel better?
- If you could recommend visiting just one country, which would you pick and why?
- What is your most treasured piece of equipment when you’re on the road?
- If you could learn one (more) language which would it be and why?
- WordPress, Twitter or Facebook? Which is your favourite platform?
- Do you blog for business or pleasure, or both?
- Are you for or against traveling with a phone?
- What’s the worst/craziest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- What’s the best viewpoint you’ve ever witnessed and where was it?
- How much money have you spent today? In which currency?
- If you had to describe yourself as a cocktail, which one would it be and why?
Well if you made it this far, thanks for reading our post!
The bloggers we’d like to nominate for the Liebster Blog Award are…