Recently, it has become quite popular to take extended holidays that are not work-related. What this typically includes is the possibility of individuals to travel around the globe for several months at a time without setting foot in an office. These sort of holidays are right on the border between becoming an expatriate and remaining a tourist. Where individuals typically have trouble with these types of long term holidays is that they are unsure what to prepare in order to organise their trip in the best way possible. Below is a list of what you need to do in order to have the best possible long term holiday without a hint of stress.
What to Prepare Before Leaving Your Home Country
When considering taking a long term holiday, there are many factors to consider given that you will be gone for a substantial period of time. Consider the following recommendations as you plan for your exciting trip:
- Vaccinations: In many parts of the world, there are areas that have risk of disease. If you are traveling to one of these parts of the world, it is recommended to research which vaccines that you need at least two weeks before you leave. The reason for this is that many vaccines take several weeks to become effective. Some examples of vaccines that are recommended include: Measles/Mumps/Rubella, Diphtheria/Pertussis/Tetanus, Poliovirus, Hepatitis A and B, Typhoid, and Yellow Fever (additional info).
- Travel Insurance: Insurance while you are abroad being always a very wise decision. There are many risks when traveling related to natural disasters and medical needs. Having a secure travel insurance policy will help you to be prepared for any unfortunate scenarios that could occur while you are away.
- Visas: Many countries in the world have visa requirements. Particularly if you are American, be sure that you have the cash you need in United States Dollars to pay for your visas. Many border crossings do not allow for the visas to be paid for in any other way. This is particularly true in Africa.
- Communication Preparation: There are so many wonderful ways to stay in touch while you are away. Be sure to learn about Skype, FaceTime, Gmail, Facebook, WeChat, and WhatsApp in order to remain in contact with friends and family. These strategies will also help you as you are traveling due to the incredible advances in communication technology in recent years.
- Photocopy Important Documents: It is always wise to have a backup strategy when you are traveling abroad. Be sure to take photocopies of your important documents in order to prepare for a rainy day. One great example of this is your passport. Having an extra photocopy of your passport in a different place will be instrumental to you if you should lose your passport while traveling.
How Money Transfer Companies Can Help You Prepare Financially
Depending on how long you are planning on staying in each place you are traveling, it could be beneficial to open a local bank account while you are there. One viable way to achieve this expat finance goal is to utilise money transfer companies. Money transfer companies open up a world of opportunities for expat money to not only be more accessible, but also to have great savings while moving the money from one jurisdiction to another. An example of such recommended company is World First who you can read more about here.
The reason that opening up a local bank account is very beneficial is that credit and debit cards that are foreign will be charging high fees. Additionally, in many countries in the world, there is a preference to still pay in cash or to not have credit card machines that accept foreign cards. This makes using credit cards with their expensive international transaction fees to be impractical in many countries (for example, view this article about opening bank accounts in China). Be sure to carefully research this before going abroad to see if you will be staying somewhere long enough to make opening a local bank account worthwhile. Doing so will save you a great deal of money on your holiday.
Final Words on the Topic
Deciding to take a long term holiday abroad is a very exciting adventure to prepare for. That being said, there are many different items that are necessary to organise in order to have a successful holiday. The better that you prepare, the more enjoyable your holiday will be. Additionally, if you take the time to research money transfer companies, you will save a great deal of capital on your upcoming holiday that could be utilised for that extra tour or extravagant hotel stay. Furthermore, it is always important to prepare for a rainy day with vaccines and travel insurance. Similarly, organising your communication strategy will allow you to not miss a beat with your family and friends back home. Lastly, be sure that you are cognizant of any and all immigration regulations related to your nationality in order to avoid problems in customs. All in all, if you prepare adequately, you will absolutely be able to have a sensational holiday that you will remember for many years to come.